The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) specialist will manage and oversee the MEL system of ‘Strengthening Quality of Malaria Diagnosis & Treatment in Ethiopia (SQMDTE)’ project. He/She will provide leadership and guidance to the SQMDTE MEL team in ICAP in Ethiopia and assume overall responsibility for MEL technical assistance to the Ministry of Health (MOH), Regional Health Bureaus, Zonal and District Health Offices. The MEL specialist will be responsible for all aspects of M, E,& L program activities, including routine data collection, data quality assurance, analysis and reporting. The MEL specialist will also be responsible for designing, and execution of different assessments and operational research projects. The MEL specialist, in collaboration with MEL, program and technical staff, will lead the design and implementation of MEL activities for program performance evaluation and continuous quality improvement of interventions and outcomes. He/She will also be responsible for continuously documenting and disseminating program successes, best practices and challenges. The MEL specialist will liaise closely with the ICAP-New York Strategic Information (SI) Unit and other technical and programmatic staff
in New York and USAID office.
- Develop the overall framework for MEL systems, including requirements, baseline and evaluation surveys.
- Facilitate and provide leadership to ensure effective design, review, and implementation of the project’s Evaluation and Performance Measurement Plan, including the development of project outputs, performance indicators, and targets, in line with USAID indicators and reporting
- Design and oversee the implementation of MEL systems to ensure timely collection, management, and dissemination of data for reporting progress towards the project’s objectives
- Provide overall guidance to the FMOH, EPHI, RHBs/RRLs, Zonal and district health offices in the development and implementation of MEL plans
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures for data collection, management and reporting
- Lead MEL team in provision of mentorship and training to FMOH, EPHI, RHBs/RRLs, Zonal and district health offices in data collection, reporting, data quality assurance, evaluation, and use of data among health professionals
- Conduct routine field visits to Zonal and district health offices and health facilities to ensure progress and quality of MEL
- Establish data quality assurance (DQA) activities to ensure timeliness and accuracy of data
- Ensure that routinely collected data summaries are available in a timely manner and in a user-friendly format for regular use by the Country Director, Chief of Party, and technical team for program review and planning
- Lead the designing and execution of surveys and operational research projects
- Ensure the alignment of research and MEL activities with program goals, and contribute to the development of annual work plans to identify project targets and ensure inclusion of M&E activities.
- Develop and implement MEL reporting guidelines and systems designed to inform the direction of the project, including data quality and data use strategies.
- Train program staff on MEL guidelines, survey instruments, data collection tools, and other tools for MEL.
- Supervise all staff involved in collecting and analyzing data and reporting results.
- Conduct field-based monitoring, technical assistance, and training to program teams, and partner organizations, to strengthen their capacity in the collection, cleaning, and analysis of data for program management and donor reporting.
- Collaborate with counterparts and partner organizations, including other USAID programs, in work planning and program implementation.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a strategy for synthesizing and disseminating key results, programmatic lessons learned, and other research outputs of the program.
- Contribute to and review program reports prior to submission to donors and headquarters.
- Ensure efficient systems are in place for project staff to collect and compile relevant information for routine project reports and other special reports
- In coordination with the Chief of Party, program and technical staff, prepare consolidated reports for dissemination that include concise narratives and relevant tables and/or graphs to meet reporting requirements for US government and other stakeholders
- Ensure that robust electronic systems are in place to manage and use aggregate level MEL data
- Develop, implement and analyze targeted evaluations as needed with the MEL team
- Promote and support data use and dissemination of project information among project staff
- MSc in biostatistics or statistics
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 10 years’ experience in leading complex, high-quality MEL programs
- Strong data management and analysis skills; Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, health management information systems, data quality assurance, and reporting
- Experience building government capacity in MEL, and working with USG or other donors
- Experience working in the field particularly with Malaria and in Ethiopia preferred
- Strong familiarity with US Government reporting requirements
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English.
- Fluency in Amharic preferred.
To apply please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com , with “Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) specialist” in the subject line.