Under the direction of the Laboratory Advisor, the Satellite Laboratory Technician will be responsible for receiving and processing of whole blood samples including plasma separation, aliquoting, performing external quality assurance (EQA) of HIV rapid testing, dried blood spot (DBS) preparation, storage of specimens using LDMS, and shipping of plasma aliquots and DBS using cold chain system to the central HIV Reference Laboratory (HRL) in Haiti.
This position is grant funded.
- Attend all technical trainings as outlined by survey Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Receive samples from the field survey teams and log them into the existing LDMS
- Ensure that samples are processed within the specified TAT as outlined in the survey SOP
- Prepare plasma and DBS specimens from the whole blood samples and store them in designated freezers using LDMS in readiness for shipping
- Run Rapid HIV test on the first 50 samples tested by each HTC tester as part of EQA
- Perform Geenius HIV ½ as confirmatory assay
- Produce report on the number of: whole blood samples received, DBS prepared, plasma aliquots prepared, samples tested on Rapid HIV test, and EQA Rapid HIV tests done.
- Pack and ship specimens to central HIV Reference Laboratory using packing instruction 650 of ICAO/IATA guidelines
- Ship specimens to central HIV reference Laboratory using LDMS as per survey SOPs
- Adhere to laboratory health safety practices that strengthen the safety and efficiency of the laboratory equipment
- Ensure that all relevant IQC for the Haiti PHIA survey samples are performed accordingly and well recorded as per survey SOP.
- Manage supplies following FEFO rules of Stock management to avoid service interruption
- Ensure all paper forms, logs and reports are properly filled and securely stored
- Perform preventative maintenance for all equipment as per survey SOPs
- Liaise and work in close collaboration with the Laboratory Advisor, Project Coordinator, Satellite Laboratory Logistics Officer, Procurement and Logistics Officer, and satellite laboratory health facility staff and the field survey teams
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES
- Minimum Diploma or above in medical laboratory technology/biomedical sciences
- Registered with Allied Health Professional Council and with valid renewed certificate.
- Minimum of 2-4 years Laboratory experience in HIV testing and Quality Control and Quality Assurances procedures in a recognized health facility
- Applicants with practical experience in use of Lab Management Information Systems (LMIS) and experience with Logistics and Procurement Management will have an added advantage.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong organizational and good analytical laboratory skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and to successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently.
- Ability to work non-standard working hours in order to ensure 12-hour operation cycle.
- Ability to problem-solve and work as a team member.
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications: MS Word, Excel, Internet, Email, etc.
- Ability to function independently or with minimal supervision.
- Ability to adhere to medical research health ethics, as provided.
- Fluency in English and French; knowledge of Haitian Creole
Please send an application letter and CV by email with subject title “PHIA Project – Satellite Laboratory Technician – Haiti” to email@example.com. Please do not submit certificates online. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
NOTE: These are local hire positions and the successful candidates will be employees of ICAP in Haiti and subject to the local terms and conditions of employment, which includes a competitive salary and benefits package.