ICAP will be conducting a project to provide technical assistance to the Department of Health (DOH) to operationalize and evaluate systematic HIV testing among patients with presumptive tuberculosis (TB), and enrolment of those found to be HIV-positive on antiretroviral therapy (ART) in South Africa. This project is funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Program for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The project will provide technical assistance to 10 health facilities in the Gauteng Region that provide HIV and TB services, and will assess the strengthened services using data collected as part of routine service delivery and monitoring.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing project activities and providing ongoing technical support including: developing training materials, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and job aids; training and mentoring health workers to ensure adherence to the SOPs; developing the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plans, indicators and tools; developing data management systems and quality assurance procedures; overseeing data collection, data management and QA of all study procedures; monitoring project spending and assisting with financial reporting; coordinating ethical and IRB reviews; communicating with staff at ICAP headquarters in New York; and report writing and project documentation.
This position is grant funded.
Location: Pretoria, SA
- Oversee all project-related activities and provide ongoing technical support including:
o Provide technical support for procurement and other start-up activities
o Conduct a pre-assessment at participating health facilities to inform technical assistance activities
o Develop training materials and standard operating procedures
o Lead health worker trainings and provide mentorship in project implementation and data collection
o Develop the M&E plans, indicators and tools
o Develop data management systems and quality assurance procedures
o Oversee data quality assurance through routine data quality checks and on-site assessments as per standard operating procedures
o Oversee data management including facilitating submission of data from the on-site study team to New York offices
o Oversee institutional review/ethics board submissions, including modifications
o Monitor project spending and review all financial reporting
o Oversee project close out activities including secure storage of data
- Ensure communication between NY-based investigators and in-country project team:
o Provide weekly updates and communicate regularly with the Country Director and New York staff to inform them of progress and any challenges encountered at the project sites
o Provide regular updates on project progress to the health facility management at project sites
- Liaise with DOH to ensure project success
- Assist with funder reporting and other study outputs, including manuscripts
- Assist with other aspects of the projects as directed.
An advanced degree in Public Health, Nursing, or related science degrees or related field including experience working in DOH or PEPFAR and other HIV-related programs.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- 6+ years of related experience
- Experience managing PEPFAR-funded and/or HIV-related projects
- Knowledge and practical experience in health-related research, including adherence to research protocols, data collection procedures and ethical requirements of human subjects research
- Practical experience managing health systems research in South Africa
- Familiarity with the structure of the health system in South Africa
- Demonstrated experience managing quantitative data and conducting data analysis
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office suite applications
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams
Experience managing and supervising a multisite research project, including managing study staff, overseeing data collection and conducting data quality assessments
Weekly travel to study sites in the Gauteng Region
Kindly e-mail your application and a detailed CV, with 3 contactable employment references, to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Witness Kanengoni.
Please indicate the job title “Presumptive TB Project Coordinator” in the subject line.
Closing date: 12th April, 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note: Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time