As part of the Optimizing Momentum Towards Sustainable Epidemic Control (OpCon) project, ICAP will be conducting an evaluation of a large-scale community health worker initiative in South Africa funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Fund for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The project will include both process evaluation and impact evaluation elements and will involve both the collection and analysis of primary data and the analysis of existing routinely collected monitoring and evaluation data.
Reporting to the Country Director, the Evaluation Coordinator will be responsible for providing overall technical support with regard to evaluation implementation including: development of standard operating procedures and data quality assurance (QA) processes; coordination of ethical and IRB reviews; evaluation staff hiring, training, and supervision; project management and financial oversight; oversight and QA of all evaluation procedures at evaluation sites; oversight of data collection and management; communication with staff at ICAP headquarters in New York; and report writing and project documentation.
- Oversee and supervise all project and evaluation-related activities including management and on-going technical support including:
- Oversee institutional review/ethics board submissions, including modifications and renewals
- Develop job descriptions and assist with recruitment of evaluation staff
- Develop evaluation staff training materials and participate in evaluation staff trainings
- Develop evaluation standard operating procedures and job aids
- Assist with procurement and other activities required for evaluation start up
- Ensure adherence to the protocol and standard operating procedures
- Provide technical support for procurement
- Monitor evaluation spending and review all financial reporting
- Oversee evaluation close out activities including secure storage of evaluation data
- Ensure communication between NY-based investigators, in-country technical staff and evaluation team:
- Provide weekly updates and communicate regularly with senior evaluation staff to inform them of evaluation progress and any challenges encountered at the sites
- Provide regular updates on the progress of the evaluation to the health facility management and clinical care teams at evaluation sites
- Oversee data quality assurance for the evaluation through routine data quality checks and on-site assessments as per evaluation standard operating procedures.
- Oversee data management for the evaluation including facilitating submission of data from the on-site evaluation team to New York offices.
- Conduct on-site monitoring and data quality audits as required.
- Assist with funder reporting and other evaluation outputs, including manuscripts.
- Assist with other aspects of the projects as directed.
- Master of Public Health or related discipline
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- 6+ years of related experience
- Experience in managing USG funded projects
- Knowledge and practical experience in health related research, including adherence to research protocols, data collection procedures and ethical requirements of human subjects research
- Practical experience managing health systems research in South Africa
- Familiarity with the structure of the health system in South Africa
- Demonstrated experience managing both quantitative and qualitative data and conducting data analysis, preferably using SAS
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office suite applications, including MS Access
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience managing and supervising a multisite research project, including managing evaluation staff, overseeing data collection and conducting data quality assessments.
- Experience designing, implementing and/or evaluating health workforce initiatives, in particular community health worker initiatives
- Experience using Nvivo and/or other qualitative data analysis software
- Up to 50% local travel per year within South Africa
Please note: Management reserves the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time
Interested candidates, Kindly e-mail your application and a detailed CV, with 3 contactable employment references, to email@example.com for the attention of Witness Kanengoni. Please indicate the job title ‘OpCon Evaluation Coordinator’ in the subject line.