The Data Visualization and Presentation Specialist will create graphical, geographical, and tabular representations of data for the Population-Based HIV Impact Assessment (PHIA) Project’s (https://phia.icap.columbia.edu) technical publications (Summary Sheets, Final Reports), peer-reviewed publications, technical presentations, and website pages. She/he will create and update standard templates and code (R, Python, other) and will ensure the accuracy, consistency, and quality of graphics, maps, and tables presented across PHIA Project surveys.
- Collaborate with Technical Specialists, Technical Director, Senior Technical Advisor, and Senior Communications Officer to produce Summary Sheets and Final Reports in a standardized format and in a timely fashion.
- Create standard templates and associated code for production of graphics, maps, and tables for Summary Sheets and Final Reports.
- Develop static and interactive data visualizations for using program monitoring data for peer-reviewed publications, technical presentations, annual and quarterly reports, and presentations to donors and stakeholders.
- Collaborate on the final design and layout for publications and presentations.
- Provide guidance to teams in proposal writing and new program development.
- Establish data visualization standards and explore new tools to consistently raise standards.
- Research and recommend software to improve core data visualization deliverables.
- Perform other related duties as directed.
- BS in a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)-related field (minimum)
- A minimum of 3 years of experience working in the field of data visualization/information design, including creation of clear and concise graphics, maps, and tables.
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced knowledge of data visualization software.
- Excellent proficiency in R (especially ggplot2).
- Excellent proficiency in ArcGIS or qGIS.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Excellent attention to detail and dedication to scientific rigor.
- Demonstrated leadership versatility, and integrity.
- Ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND OTHER SKILLS
- MS in Data Science or a STEM-related field (preferred)
- Experience writing Python scripts to create geo-processing tools.
- Experience and skill in publication design and layout.
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro.
- Occasional domestic or international travel (10%) may be required to support data analysis and technical writing workshops.
Interested candidates, please apply here –